The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is the „European Cultural Brand of the Year 2017”
Added: (Mon Nov 13 2017)
Pressbox (Press Release) -
On November 9, this year's winners of the European Cultural Awards were awarded with the AURICA at the "Night of Cultural Brands" gala at the Wintergarten in Berlin. The ceremony was attended by 500 guests representing cultural institutions, businesses, politics and the media. The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao was selected as the "European Cultural Brand of the Year 2017". Other categories were bestowed upon the Kulturzug Berlin - Wroclaw//Breslau, the Würth Group, Tourismus NRW e.V. with its #urbanana project, the Daetz Foundation and the Stuttgart Cultural Office (Kulturamt Stuttgart). Frances Morris, director of the Tate Modern art gallery in London, was honored as the "European Culture Manager of the Year 2017" Dr. Gereon Sievernich, director of the Martin Gropius Baus (Martin Gropius Building) in Berlin, received an AURICA for his life's work so far. http://cultural-brands.com/
The jury's reasoning: The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao has shaped both the cultural and economic importance for the region. The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, with its unique architecture, has succeeded in shaping the urban landscape and urban culture in a sustainable way. The "Bilbao Effect" attracts more than a million visitors from all over the world to the museum for modern art every year. According to the judges, the top-class museum has also achieved a leading position as a cultural brand on the European market.
In total, 104 entries were submitted in seven categories this year. The panel of 38 expert judges representing businesses, politics, culture and the media, chaired by Prof. Dr. Oliver Scheytt, president of the German Culture Policy Society (Kulturpolitische Gesellschaft e.V.), honored seven other award winners that evening:
• Frances Morris, director of the Tate Modern art gallery in London, received the "European Culture Manager of the Year 2017" award.
• Dr. Gereon Sievernich, director of Martin Gropius Baus in Berlin, was honored with a special award for his life's work so far.
• Kulturzug Berlin-Wrozlaw//Breslau der Deutsch-Polnischen Gesellschaft e.V. was voted "European Trend Brand of the Year 2017".
• The "Prize for Urban Culture 2017" was awarded for the second time to the Stuttgart Cultural Office (Kulturamt der Stadt Stuttgart) for its project "Zukunftslabor Kultur".
• The Würth Group received the "European Cultural Investor of the Year 2017" award for its cultural engagement in Europe.
• Tourismus NRW e.V. received the "European Cultural Tourism Region of the Year 2017" title with its #urbanana project.
• The judges recognized the programs offered by the Daetz Foundation (based in Liechtenstein, Saxony) by bestowing the "European Education Program of the Year 2017" award upon the organization.
The winners were honored with the AURICA, a 23 centimeter tall waxed bronze statue. AURICA is a Romanian girl’s name, which stands for “The Golden One”. The name is a combination of everything humankind covets so much: Aura, aurum and eureka. Moreover, the sculpture is a symbol for the excellence, attractiveness and diversity of the European culture market and a symbol for the valuable communications work of European cultural providers as well as the outstanding commitment of the sponsors in European Culture. The European Cultural Brand Award receives funding from 43 business partners. The main sponsor this year is the Sparkassen-Finanzgruppe, as well as premium partners Der Tagesspiegel, ARTE Magazin, Deutsche Welle, HORIZONT, BayerKultur and Berlin Partner für Wirtschaft und Technologie. Funding for the AURICAs is provided by SecuritasAB.
Press contact: Hans-Conrad Walter, Managing Director of Causales GmbH;
Bötzowstr. 25, 10407 Berlin; Tel.: 0049- (0) 30 53 214 391; Mobile: +49 (0) 152-542 165 17; email@example.com. This press release as well as press photos will also be available for download at www.cutltural-brands.de/press.